Aromatherapy is a form of alternative medicine that uses plant materials and aromatic plant oils, including essential oils, and other aromatic compounds for the purpose of altering one’s mood, cognitive, psychological or physical wellbeing.
To use aromatherapy for pain, relaxation, and rejuvenation, Drs. Hirsch and Oz recommend trying these scents.
Relax: vanilla. In the Columbia University Medical Center study, subjects who smelled vanilla while completing stress tests had more stable heart rates and blood pressure readings than those who took the tests in an unscented environment.
Try: Place a few drops of vanilla extract onto a handkerchief and carry it with you to smell throughout the day.
Recharge: peppermint, jasmine, citrus. These scents make you feel more awake. “Even though these scents are pleasant, they act as mild irritants and the effect is similar to that of smelling salts,” explains Dr. Hirsch.
Try: Sprinkle a few drops of the essential oil of your choice in a candle diffuser, or dilute two drops in 1 tsp. of avocado or almond oil, then rub it onto the back of your hand.
Relieve:Green apple. “We found that the smell of green apples reduced the severity and duration of migraine headache pain and may have a similar effect on joint pain,” says Dr. Hirsch. “The scent seems to reduce muscle contractions, which are the main cause of pain in migraines.”
Try: For aromatherapy pain relief, eat a green apple for a snack or bathe with green apple bath salts.
Aromatherapy for weight loss? The soothing scent of lavender can not just relieve headache pain and achy muscles, it can interrupt a complex hormonal process in which not getting enough sleep and having too many aches and pains can keep you hungry all the time. The soothing scent of lavender can give you just the edge you need to lose all the weight your diet and exercise plan allow.
And the best way to use aromatherapy for weight loss is with an aromatherapy nebulizer?
What is a nebulizer for aromatherapy? Basically, it’s a tiny compressor with a fan. The fan blows air across a well holding essential oils. Tiny droplets of essential oil enter a coiled tube. As they are blown around and around the coils of the tube, they get smaller and smaller. When they are blown out of the open end of the coil, the invisible droplets are so fine that they immediately fill a room with healing scent.
A nebulizer is the best way to enjoy all the benefits of essential oils every hour of every day. Here are five reasons you should buy this most effective of all aromatherapy machines.
1. A nebulizer releases the right amount of essential oil into the air every hour of the day, not too much, not too little. Usually the machine runs just 30 minutes every two hours so your home is not overwhelmed by scent.
2. This useful home health device isn’t just used for lavender. Lemon and grapefruit scents also may activate the nerve cells that carry the message to fat cells telling them to burn more fat, faster. Their scents won’t melt your pounds way, but they will make it easier to lose weight and keep on losing weight on a reduced-calorie diet without hitting the dreaded “weight loss plateau.”
3. A nebulizer can be just what you need to get over a lingering case of flu or a long-lasting cold. When you are through using your vaporizer, then your nebulizer is just what you need to get the ongoing respiratory relief you need.
4. This machine may help your children get good grades. Lemon oil, particularly, helps children and teens study more efficiently. It can also give them greater stamina for taking tests.
5. A nebulizer can even ease the lives of older people. There’s a lot about getting old that is frustrating. Lavender, jasmine, and bergamot therapy can help older people feel more “at home.” It can ease agitation and, in seniors who suffer dementia, prevent them from leaving the home without letting anyone know where they are going.
These ingenious machines make the most of expensive essential oils, operate for 2 to 3 weeks without any attention from you, and deliver healing therapy 24/7. A nebulizer in every room may be just the thing you need in your home for optimum health for every member of the family.